Morton on IL with inflamed shoulder, Alvarado rejoins Rays
- A's clinch AL West as Astros lose to M's
- Braves' Hamels back on IL, out for year
- Jays P Giles to have Tommy John surgery
- Rays overcome deGrom's 14 Ks in 2-1 win
- Reds stay hot, end Brewers' 4-game run
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) The Tampa Bay Rays have placed right-hander Charlie Morton on the 10-day injured list due to inflammation in his pitching shoulder.
The move Monday came one day after Morton (1-1, 5.40 ERA) was removed from a start against the New York Yankees in the third inning. The 36-year-old Morton, an All-Star in 2018 and 2019, went 16-6 last year in his first season with Tampa Bay.
The Rays filled the roster opening by reinstating lefty reliever Jose Alvarado from the paternity list.
More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated August 10, 2020